NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Comic Oddities: The Monkees Crazy Cartoon Book (1967)

Back in 1967, when there was a Daily Mirror Books department producing various paperbacks for Andy Capp, The Perishers, and so on, they capitalized on the Monkeemania fad by publishing this item. The Monkees Crazy Cartoon Book was a standard pocket-size paperback full of humour comic strips featuring (you guessed it) The Monkees pop group.

The book was actually a British edition of an American one published a year earlier. (The US version didn't have the 'Crazy Cartoon Book' added to the title.) It was written by Howard Liss and illustrated by Gene Fawcette. The contents were a mixture of four longish adventures and three short (3 page) strips, plus four pages of portrait photos of Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz, Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork. Presumably the book was one of the first items of Monkee memorabilia created as Mike is only referred to as 'Wool Hat' in the strips, which was his name in the pilot episode. 

As you can see from the random examples I'm showing here, the approach the comic strips took was to try and mimic some of the surreal comedy of The Monkees TV show. It could prove to be a bit silly in places.

Anyway, it's an unusual item that may have passed you by so I thought I'd show a few pages from it here. I've had the book since 1967 so my apologies for it being a little dog eared and tanned around the edges now. 







      

5 comments:

John Pitt said...

Either my brother or me would have nabbed that at the time if we had seen it. My brother would get the annuals at Christmas ( on my recommendation to my Mother, so I could get to read them too! )

Anonymous said...

I think it was Mike Nesmith's mother who invented tippex (is that how it's spelt - y'know, that white stuff they used to paint over typing mistakes).

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, 'Liquid Paper'. I used it for art corrections back in the pre-computer days.

Mikeodee said...

Funnily enough I'm reading The Art of Brett Ewins at the moment and he tells a story of meeting Mickey Dolenz on a Saturday kids TV show and giving him a page of Judge Dredd art....featuring 'Mickey Dolenz Block' in the Big Meg!

Lew Stringer said...

That book is excellent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...